Sheriff’s Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How can I  report an abandoned vehicle?
A. A person may call the Sheriff’s Office to report an abandoned vehicle. An officer will be dispatched and will place a notice on the vehicle informing the owner that the car will be towed if not moved within a 48-hour period. The officer will return after a 48-hour period. If the vehicle has not been moved, the officer will impound the vehicle.


Q. What should I  do if I’ve been involved in a traffic accident?
A. A person should first ensure that no one is injured. If no one is injured, all parties (drivers) should exchange information: driver’s license numbers (if in possession or known),vehicle license numbers, names, addresses, and phone numbers of all drivers (passengers, if possible),and the names of the insurance companies of the drivers involved. The involved persons should also write down the location where the traffic collision occurred (utilizing cross street names or addresses and street names) and the time it occurred.


Q. What are the reporting requirements if I’ve been involved in a traffic accident?
A. A traffic collision report will be taken by the Sheriff’s Office when one of the following reporting criteria is met:

  •  a person involved in the traffic collision has been injured (complaining of pain is considered injury) or dies
  • one of the drivers is under the influence of  alcohol or drugs
  • one of the drivers has fled the location without stopping to exchange information or check on the welfare of the other parties involved
  • city or county property is involved {city vehicle, light post, signal light, etc.)
  • damage in excess of $1,000 has been done.


Q. How do I  make a traffic accident report?
A. To  make a traffic accident report, a person only needs to contact the Sheriff’s Office and an officer will be dispatched to take the report and investigate the accident. A person can contact Sheriff’s Office by calling one of the following numbers:

  •  911, in an emergency
  • Sheriff — 620.376.4233


Q. What is the procedure for posting bail?
A. Bail can be posted at the Greeley County Sheriff’s Office 24 hours a day. Bail may be posted in one of the following manners:

  • cash
  • Surety Bond
  • cashier’s check made payable to the Greeley County Sheriff’s Office and drawn on a Kansas bank.


Q. Where and when will an arrestee go  to jail?
A. The court arraignment location is determined by two factors: where a person was arrested and the type of charge filed against him/her. Please call the Sheriff’s Office for more information.


Q.  Where will an arrestee be sent after he/she goes to court?
A. Arrestees who remain in custody after arraignment are remanded to the custody of the Greeley County Sheriff’s Office.


Q. Is there a telephone number I can call to find out if someone is in jail?
A. The public can call (620)376-4233, 24 hours a day to find out if a person is in custody.


Q. How many visits can an arrestee have?
A. Arrestees may have one visit a week by an approved friend or family member during established visiting hours. An attorney, bail bondsperson, or member of the clergy may visit anytime.


Q. How can I report child abuse?
A. Call the Sheriff’s Office, or Social Services Department. To contact SRS for the Tribune area the phone number is (866)317-4279.or, if the abuse continues, make an emergency call to 911. You can also contact Family Crisis Services at (620)275-5911 or 1(800)275.0535. Family Crisis Services may also be contacted on-line.


Q. How can I report elder abuse?
A. “Elder physical abuse” is defined as  a situation where any person who has the care or custody of, or who stands in a position of trust with an elder, willfully inflicts upon that elder any cruel or inhuman corporal punishment or injury. Physical abuse includes, but is not limited to, direct beatings, sexual assault, unreasonable physical constraint, or prolonged deprivation of food or water.

To  report elder abuse, call the Sheriff’s Office, or Social Services Department. To contact SRS for the Tribune area the phone number is 1 (866)317-4279,or if the abuse continues, make an emergency call to 911.


Q. When should I  use 911 versus 7-digit telephone lines?
A. Call 911 when there is a life or death emergency that requires the immediate response of emergency service such as  police, fire, or paramedic. Always call 911 when there is a medical problem or something that requires any of the emergency services to respond. Emergency services include the sheriff ,ambulance, and fire departments.


When there is a situation that requires police response but is not an emergency, use the non­-emergency 7-digit telephone numbers:

  • Sheriff: (620) 376-4233
  • Fire: (620) 376-4233
  • Ambulance: (620) 376-4233


Q. How can I call 911 at all times?
A. All 911 calls are received by Police Dispatchers who are trained to screen calls quickly and efficiently. When calling to report a non-emergency incident,dial the operator and ask for a non­-emergency police line. This does not require money when calling from a pay phone.

  • Dial 911 on any phone.
  • Tell the 911 operator what you need–ambulance, fire truck, or the police.
  • Be calm. When a caller is upset, it is hard to understand what he or she is saying or to get vital information quickly.
  • Stay on the phone. Do not hang up!
  • Give your name and address. If your address is different from the location of the crimes, be sure to let the operator know.
  • If possible, give the operator suspect description, weapons (if any),and vehicle descriptions and license.

Emergency operators will verify your address and telephone to ensure that the telephone company address that is sent with the call is current and accurate. People living in mobile home parks or on private roads often have addresses that differ from the telephone company street addresses.

Return to the Sheriff’s Main Page.