Tag Department Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How much will it cost to register my vehicle?


Title Fees:


Repossession Title Fees:


Transfer Fees:



Autos less than 4,500 lbs.


Autos over 4,500 lbs.


12M Trucks








8001 – 1200


12001 and over


  • If the weight of the trailer  and the load combined is less  than 2,000 pounds, registration is optional If a farm trailer  hauling the farmer’s own product has a load of less than 6,000 pounds, registration Is optional. For fees on trucks with gross weight of over 16,000 pounds, call the Unified Greeley County Treasurer’s Office.
  • Property tax is paid at the time of registration/title application and is determined in the Unified Greeley County Treasurer’s Office. The exceptions are heavy trucks, trailers, and mopeds, whose taxes are determined by the Unified Greeley County Appraiser’s Office.
  • Reflectorized plate fee is $0.50.
  • Sales tax will be collected in the tag office if the vehicle is bought from an individual or purchased out of state. The sales tax rate is 7.3% plus a $0.50 collection fee.
  • The fee to transfer a tag is $12.50 plus  the difference in the property tax.


Q. What do I need to know about transferring a tag from one vehicle to another?
A. The fee to transfer is $14.50 plus the difference in the property tax. The names on the two titles must be the same. If the old tag is expired, it can only be transferred if it is a personalized tag. If this is your renewal month, your fees will be the same as a new tag minus the $0.50 plate fee. The old vehicle must be sold  or traded in, even if it is not running. As long as the title is still in your name, the plate must stay with it.


Q. I’m moving to Kansas from another state; how do I register my vehicle?
A. If you have the title, bring in the title, the vehicle inspection, and the proof of insurance. The person who is named on the title is the only person who can register the vehicle. If two names appear on the title with and/or between the names, only one person has to come in. If two names are on the title with and between them, both persons must come in. All vehicles coming from out of state must have a VIN inspection from the Unified Greeley County Sheriffs Office. The cost is $20.00 in cash. If you do not have the title because the lien holder of that state keeps it until the vehicle is paid for, come to the Unified Greeley County Treasurer’s Office with your out-of­-state registration or a nonnegotiable title. We will also need your proof of insurance. We will then title the vehicle. The Treasurer will contact the lien holder and request the out-of-state title. You will receive a letter to get an inspection done at the Unified Greeley County Sheriff’s Department. You will need to send the pink copy back to the Unified Greeley County Treasurer, and the Kansas title will be sent to your lien holder.


Q. What papers will I need to title a newly-purchased vehicle?
A. You will need the title or MSO (if it’s a new car), signed and notarized over to you, the sales tax receipt or notarized bill of sale, the car’s current mileage, and your proof of insurance. When transferring a tag between two cars, you need the current registration or tag number of the old car and the name and address of the person to whom the vehicle was sold.


Q. What are your office hours?
A. The Tag Office is open between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. M.T, including lunch hour, Monday through Friday. The office stops doing vehicle business at 3:30 p.m. MT in order to run reports and balance the day’s business.


Q. Where are you located?
A. The Tag Office is located at the Unified Greeley County Courthouse at 208 Harper, Tribune, Ks 67879.


Q. Where can I get my vehicle inspected, and during what hours?
A. All out-of-state title for used vehicles (and Kansas Non-Highway vehicles) requires inspection. The fee is $20.00 in CASH ONLY and can be done at the Unified Greeley County Sheriff Department.


Q. How can I renew my tags if I didn’t get a renewal notice in the mail?
A. Take your registration or tag number and proof of insurance to the Unified Greeley County Treasurer’s Office, and they will be able to process your renewal.


Q. How can I get a refund, and what forms I will need?
A. Bring in your tag, current owner’s registration, Social Security number (for a personal vehicle) or Federal ID# (for business or lease vehicles), and name and address of the person to whom the vehicle was sold. Refunds are calculated from the month they are received.


Q. Where can I get a power of attorney /lien holder consent, bill of sale, etc.?

A. These tag forms and many others are available on this web page from the Vehicle Tag Forms page. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and/or print these forms. This is a free download, and the site can be accessed from the Vehicle Tag Forms box above.

Q. My tags were stolen. What do I do?
A. Report the plate stolen to the Sheriff’s Office. Bring the tag number and proof of insurance, and we will replace the tag for $3.00.


Q. How do I get a personalized tag?
A. The price for personalized tags is $44.00, in addition to other fees and personal property taxes.

You will also need to fill out a Personalized Tag Form.


Q. What will happen if I have delinquent taxes?
A. If you have delinquent personal property taxes in ANY county In Kansas, they MUST be paid before  vehicles can be tagged in any Kansas county.


Q. How can I pay for my tags?
A. Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check, money order, credit card, and cashier’s check. There is an additional fee for credit card use.


Q. Where can I go to renew my handicapped placard? Where do I mail it?
A. This is done at the Unified Greeley County Treasurer’s Office in the County Courthouse.


Q. Do my tags expire on the first or the last day of the month?
A. Auto, truck, and motorcycle tags expire on the last day of each month, with the exception of heavy trucks (over 12,000 lbs.) and trailers, which expire Dec.31 with a grace period until Feb.28.


Q. Why aren’t my tags good for a full year?
A. Tag renewals are good for a full year. Tags for vehicles bought new within the year will be good for the period between the purchase date and the expiration date; in some cases this will be for just a partial year. Tags are prorated from the month the title is notarized until the month your tag comes  due, which is determined by your last name. See the tag schedule above.


Q. I am a military dependent. Shouldn’t I be exempted from property taxes?
A. No. Only the active duty military member is exempt.


Q. Can I get an extension on my sixty-day permit?
A. No. There are no extensions.


Q. My doctor says I’m permanently handicapped. Why do I have to re-certify for handicap privileges?
A. Law requires re-certification every three years for verification of status of the handicapped individual.


Q. Why do I pay taxes on my leased vehicle when I’m in the military.
A. The leased vehicle is in the leasing company name; therefore, they are the legal owner of the vehicle and not exempt


Q.  I am in the military but a Kansas resident. Do I pay taxes on my vehicle?
A. If the military person and the vehicle are stationed in Kansas, the vehicle is taxable. If the military person is a resident of Kansas and on active duty, but stationed in another state, the vehicle is exempt.


Q. I own businesses in several counties in Kansas. Where do I register my vehicle?
A. The vehicle should be registered in the county where the main business in located.


Q. I am active duty military, but the vehicle is in my wife’s name. Do I have to pay taxes on the vehicle?
A. Yes. The service member must be included on the title in order to be exempt.


Q. Do I have to get a Kansas driver’s license if I have Kansas plates?
A. Yes


Q. Do I have to register my vehicle if I am going to sell it?
A. Yes. You first have to acquire a title in your name before it can be sold to another individual or business.


Return to the Treasurer’s Main Page